For children dealing with the daily chaos of homelessness, school can be an important source of stability.
Every fall through Project Cool, Coalition members and volunteers make sure that hundreds of homeless children and youth start the school year off right, and this year, my office is partnering with the Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness to help homeless students who may have lost most or all of their personal possessions get the school supplies they need to feel confident and be prepared.
Included with every backpack a student receives is a Know-Your-Rights flyer on the educational rights for homeless students outlined in the McKinney Vento Act. The Coalition also regularly provides training for staff working with youth and unaccompanied minors to help them advocate for and support the educational rights of homeless students.
Over 24 years, Project Cool has helped more than 23,000 homeless students be ready for the first day of school, and today you can help us ﬁll students’ backpacks by purchasing supplies off of the Wish List!
My office, Windermere Mount Baker, is hosting a school supply drive from June 13 through July 5, and there are four ways to participate:
- Make a tax-deductible contribution on-line
- Mail a check to: “Project Cool/SKCCH” at 77 S. Washington St., Seattle, WA 98104
- Contact me to come pick up donations from the wish list below
- Swing by and drop your donations off at the Windermere Real Estate Mount Baker Ofﬁce at 4919 South Genesee Street in South Seattle (206.725.7255)
- 5-Tab Dividers
- Toothbrushes (individually wrapped)
- Wide-Ruled Notebooks
- College-Ruled Notebooks
- Wide-Ruled Filler Paper
- College-Ruled Filler Paper
- Crayola Crayons (24 Ct.)
- Crayola Colored Pencils (12 Ct.)
- Crayola Markers (8 Ct.)
- Ballpoint Pens (black or blue)
- #2 Pencils
- Pink Erasers
- Glue Sticks (non-toxic)